Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Twilight Review


"Warning to avoid spoilers go to the bottom of this post just to read what I rated it"

Twilight is based on one of the most popular books around called Twilight ( of course). I've read the book and I thought it was just adequate. It was highly addicting but with a handful of problems. My feelings are mutual on the movie even though it was enjoyable but it had it share of problems.

Now Twilight is about the romance between a girl name Bella and a Vampire named Edward. The movie does share some of the problems with the book but it had some problems of it's own. Like in the book I don't like how they kill Vampire; according to Twilight the only way to kill a vampire is tear them up into pieces and set the pieces on fire. Why make the way to kill vampire something so complicated, graphic and stupid. Another problem that the movie shares with the book is that Edward seems so stalkerish. I mean Edward watches Bella when she sleeps and she doesn't even know he was there, now that's creepy.

The movie as I said earlier does have some problems of its own. If you watch this movie you'll probably laugh a couple of times. Some of these times you'll laugh are intentional but some of them are unintentional. Like at the end where Bella is being hunted down by a bad vampire and the bad vampire injects venom into Bella so Edward has to suck it out. Now this was suppose to be a dramatic serious scene but the facial expression Edward made during this scene made me impossible to keep a strait face. There's another scene where Edward is driving past Billy ( A native American from a tribe that turns into Werewolves) and Billy gives him a look of disgust, well he tries to give him a look of disgust what he really gives him is a look that looks like a toddler about to throw a temper tantrum. Actually there is something else wrong with this scene that a lot of people probably didn't notice. Let me explain it to you; Edward is driving down on the left side of the road in an American car so he's on the right side of his car, Chief Billy is driving on the right side of the road also in a American so he's on the left side of this car and they meet eye to eye. The problem here is that the fact that Chief Billy is in a wheelchair. So he couldn't have driven making this scene therefore impossible, I can't believe I was able to catch this continuity and as I said before I'm probably one of the few who noticed this.

Now what a lot of people complain about in this movie is the actress who played Bella. Now I didn't really mind her but I did mind some of the other people's acting such as the actor who played Charlie. It was funny when Bella had to leave her father and she had to say mean things to him so she can get away with Edward to escape the bad Vampire named James. When Bella gets in the car she says that she was hurt by the look of Charlie's face, you mean the same facial expression he had the entire film. Now I just have to talk about the final fight scene. Just as I said there's a vampire named James who wants to suck Bella's blood so he confronts her and starts attacking her until Edward comes and saves her. This isn't how it happened in the book, in the book James knocks Bella out then Edward comes in and has his brothers Jasper and Emmet take James in the other room and kill him; how anti climatic. In the movie Edward was able to pin James down and then Edward's coven comes in and starts a fire where they kill James. Even though it was a big improvement it still seems not that heroic and seems like a gang of bullies beating up one guy (even though James sort of deserved it). Now I know I talked about this earlier but I can't stretch it enough the way they kill vampires in Twilight is stupid. I mean the first thing they do to James is they rip off his head and throw it in the fire. Now that should of just killed him and all they had to do was to throw the rest of the body in the fire, but no they continue to tear him to pieces. You know the way to kill a vampire should have been decapitation, fire or both not this crap.

Even though I complained about this film a lot it was still an enjoyable film, the editing was good and it was shot in a nice stylish way. Also it was a lot better then most of the films targeted towards teenage girls. I liked that they didn't succumbed to what's supposedly hip and have awful songs done by artists that got their start from Disney. I even liked the movie a little better then the book so I give this movie:

2 out of 5 stars

No comments: