Friday, May 1, 2009

Movies of the Month: April 2009

This is a weird movies of the month because I really didn’t see many films in April. I only saw two films and one of them (Duplicity) was included in last month’s movies of the month. To prevent this article from becoming “Movie of the Month” I waited a couple of days so I can include “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” in this article. Enjoy.

Coraline poster Coraline: Ironically, the only films I saw in April came out in previous months. After 2 months I saw this film in the dollar theater and I have to say that it’s really good. It’s surreal yet it isn’t that freaky. People comment on how beautiful this film is, and I agree that it’s very beautiful, but I think people don’t give the story enough credit. It’s very creative, very progressive, and the character development was great. The only real problem I have with this film is that I didn’t see it sooner.

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

x-men-origins-wolverine-poster X-Men Origins: Wolverine: If you’ve read this blog so far then you would know that I just had a little voice telling me that this film would suck and guess what? He was right. This film’s character development is practically non-existent. What I mean is that these characters pretty much have either one or no personality. Even Wolverine is a little dull. The characters aren’t dived into so if you were asked what were these characters names and powers then you would probably would end up guessing (unless you’ve read the comics, which I haven’t). I mean I still don’t know the name of Wolverine’s love interest, Agent Zero’s powers, or why people think Watchmen is a terrible movie (I mean you could be a little peeved that they changed your precious ending but saying a movie sucks because of it is a bit of a overreaction). There are others things to nitpick at other then the poor character development but I don’t want to get into detail about those. The main thing that sucks about this film is that I ended up not caring what happened in the films. Half of the characters died and I would just shrug because they were so undeveloped.

2 out of 5 Stars

Overall this movie month was pretty much almost non-existent. I would probably make up for this in May.

Possible Best List Nominees: Coraline.

Possible Worst List Nominees: X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

No comments: