Friday, June 26, 2009

Movies of Next Month: July 2009

The Summer Movie season is almost at its halfway point and so far I’m not that impressed with the big budget Hollywood flicks (you will hear more about that in the next article). Will the 3rd month of this so far poor season add to the pain or will it be the season’s redeemer? Let’s look at these films and be a judgmental as possible. Otherwise, my 13 worst film list would fill up faster then it already is.

Ice Age 3 Poster Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Release Date: 7-1-09): There’s a couple of things that concern me about this film. The first is the fact that this is a sequel to a sequel, and as you know those are rarely good. Secondly, the characters from the second Ice Age film made it in the sequel, and  those characters were annoying. Third, they decided to make a female Scrat which I think they shouldn’t do. Overall, unless this film got a high percentage on the tomato meter; I’ll probably skip it. 

public-enemies-poster Public Enemies (Release Date: 7-1-09): Now this is more like it. This film has looks to have a lot of things that make it look like an interesting film. It takes place in the past, the protagonist is a villain, and it’s shot in a unique style. This will probably be good and seeing all the bad films I saw lately, I need something incredible.

bruno-poster Bruno (Release Date: 7-10-09): I haven’t seen Borat but from what I heard it was disturbing but funny. Bruno seems more disturbing then Borat but just as funny. It might be interesting to see a comedian prey on innocent civilians but I’m still deciding whether I should see it or not.

i_love_you_beth_cooper_poster I Love You, Beth Cooper (Release Date: 7-10-09): This film looks bad. It looks like a blend of teen humor with loony tunes humor. A crossover I want to avoid.

harrypotter6poster Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Release Date: 7-15-09): I was actually not mad about the 8 month delay of Harry Potter, it gives more time for this filmmakers to improve the film. The last one was pretty disappointing, but I’m not concerned about this one seeing that it would be hard to screw up Half Blood Prince ( Order of the Phoenix was a good books but Half Blood Prince was a lot better). I also like the fact that it's shot in a stylish manor so the film would earn art points. The only thing that really concerns me about this film is the fact that it is rated PG. I also tried to look up it's runtime but couldn’t find it. It better be more then two hours long.

gforce_poster  G-Force (Release Date: 7-24-09): This looks stupid, I’m just going to leave it at that. Secret Agent Guinea Pigs just looks like a bad movie waiting to happen. It has an extremely small chance of being good but I already watched Race to Witch Mountain and Inkheart, so I think I saw too many stupid kids movies this year and I don’t want to add to the list.

aliens-in-the-attic-poster Aliens in the Attic (Release Date: 7-31-09): This looks even dumber then G-Force. I personally think that Disney should just stop putting out these dumb films and continue to ride the coattails of Pixar like they’ve been doing. Sure the Princess and the Frog look good, but other then that  stop making films.

funny-people-poster Funny People (Release Date: 7-31-09): This looks funny. Unlike other Apatow films this looks like it actually has a plot and isn’t depending purely on sexual humor. Might be good.

 

I guess it looks like this Summer movie season would continue to suck. But there seems to be some gems in between the crap.

No comments: